Friday, January 23, 2009

Oh- the joys of being huge

My doctor always tells me that with each baby there are more aches and pains. In my case it is so true. On top of the contractions, pressure, skin issues and underbelly stretching ligament pain that I always get, now I have swelling and terrible sciatic nerve pain. With previous pregnancies, I got swelling and sciatic nerve pain a few isolated times, but lately it has been pretty constant. I am spilling some protein and my blood pressure is up (both signs of preeclampsia I need to be careful of). I have spent a lot of time on the couch the last couple of days because I can not walk much with the sciatic nerve pain and I am trying not to carry the boys around as much for fear I will drop them when I have an episode. On top of all of this I am having deep, painful coughing bouts, especially at night, so I am not sleeping well. I really have been dealing with respiratory/cold/sore throat stuff since leaving Ethiopia. I am now on antibiotics which I am hoping will help. To top it off, the doctor said that I really didn't change any this week - not even a cm :(. The good news is that both weeks they said, "Whoa, the head is right there", which is always the case for me, but it is something I am very thankful to hear each and every time. I am trying to be thankful for the rest and extra days to get well, but I REALLY can't wait to not be pregnant any more and to hold and smell my sweet little boy.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Joy - Make sure you're laying on your left side when you lie down. When I had preeclampsia that's what they said. Also, do you want my home blood pressure monitor so you can track it and make sure it's not spiking too high? Did they tell you about all the symptoms to be watching out for - like blurry vision, headaches that don't go away, etc? Dr. Joe is great - so I'm sure he's telling you everything. Let me know if you want my blood pressure monitor.

Jenni said...

Yep, you sound like you're ready!
It is so tough to get over sickness while pregnant, your body is working so hard just caring for the baby.
I hope you go soon and am glad that you can take it easy.

rachel said...

don't get too discouraged if you aren't dilating. i didn't change at all from 36 weeks to 41.5 weeks. when i went into labor with indigo at almost 42 weeks, i was only in labor for about 3 hours total and had her within an hour of getting to the hospital. your body knows what to do and when the time is right it will do it! :)

Matt and Lindsey said...

I'm sorry to hear about the pain and blood pressure issues, Joy! I will pray for you! I'm so glad that you are able to get some rest! Jameson will be here before you know it! Let me know if you need anything!

Andrea Hill said...

Poor Joy, I really wished I could take some of your pain. Goodness, hopefully any day now even though the doctor said you haven't changed much.