Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Our Son - Ephrem Jonathan Kibru Diaz - and the email that changed our lives



This post seems overwhelming for me to write. There is so much to say and share, but it is hard to convey in words. Most people think Ephrem is like our sponsor child. But that isn't accurate at all. He has truly become our son and brother in our hearts and lives, although not legally. But the Lord has seen fit to bless us with this boy and God is not confined by legal adoption.

Originally, we were assigned a different boy, but never heard back from him after trying to contact him, so we requested the boy in this picture. We took this picture back in November 2008 when we visited Kolfe orphanage. I don't remember talking to him, but he was one that followed behind quietly. He seemed reserved, but friendly and he was not trying to get all the attention - I liked that. Well, in March 2010 we got our first email response from our son Ephrem Kibru (Kibru was his dad's first name) and the rest is history.

We heard the amazing testimony about how having a mom, completely changed the life of Solomon Mestas. You can see their story here. After following his story and hearing that many more boys longed for a mama and family, we knew that this was one more way that we could care for the orphans. We knew this was a long committment and was something much more than "sponsorship". This was adopting him in our hearts. Jordan has always desperately wanted a big brother, and now he has one. We email him 1-4 times a week and skype him every once in a while. We send him care packages and chose a birthday for him and recently celebrated his first birthday ever. He also noticed that we all have "J" names and said he would like us to give him a "J" name to be part of our family. We share scripture with him, pray with him and dream about the future with him - all things he didn't have parents or anyone to do with him before.


Oh, amazingly his English is very good. Some of the boys can not speak English, others are in between. Those that can speak English just help translate for the ones need help.


Over time I will share some of his emails with you. He has given me permission. Here is the first one we ever received. Do you see how hungry he was for a family?



"Hello mama, how are you doing?I am so fine to hear. I am very happy by you are my mama I was haven't a family but in this time I born again by you
I haven't any family.my father died when I was a little boy he was a solger and he died by war but I don't know by what war he daid my mother also diad I think when I was a 8 years old. she was sick but I don't know by what disease is she but it like TB.I am 16 years old and I live in kolfe for 8 years.Iam a grade 11 student and I like maths and english but my languge is not perfect but I always try to become a perfect in my languge and I am a medium student and also I like a soccer I like a club of Arsenal it is an england club.
mama I miss that day to see you again in Ethiopia and in our campus. I hope one day it become true and I see you in our campus and Ethiopia.
I don't know how to you pray for me but pray every day for me and I pray every day for you and my family at when I sleep and I weak up. say hi to my family.
GOD BE WITH YOU AND GOD BLESS YOU
I MISS YOU AND I LOVE YOU
your son Ephrem"


Wow - this first letter really surprised me at how open he was and how he immediately called me mama. Stay tuned for some other special posts about our son.

2 comments:

Amy said...

This brings tears to my eyes. How awesome! Your family has changed his life forever. Praise God!

natali said...

so touching :))