Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Advent/Christmas Traditions/Gift Ideas






I have had a couple of people ask me to blog about our Advent and Christmas Traditions.




Advent



Well, really we don't do much of anything out of the ordinary. This year we are going through that book I mentioned earlier and it has great questions to "hook" the kids in and help them attach the learning to something they know. Then there is the lesson and prayer time and a Christmas carol. There are crafty things and ornaments, but we aren't doing that just because I can't handle that this year. We also have a book called Christ in the Carols - that gives the stories, history and meaning behind the author and words of different carols - we love that too. Since spiritual training is a part of our every day lives, I will try to do a separate post on that soon.



Traditions


My friend Krista had a great idea on her blog last year that I am copying this year. We took all of our Christmas books that we already own and wrapped them up. Then every other day or so, I let them unwrap a "new" book and they think it is fun. Either they have fond memories of it or it is "new" to them. Some are Christ centered and some are just for fun. Maybe we will try to add one new book a year.



Also, my Aunt Carol and Grandmother started the tradition of giving us ornaments every year so when we had our own home, we already had several ornaments with memories to start off with. Now my mom and Aunt do this for all of my kids and we write their names and dates with a tiny sharpie on them.



Christmas Eve is always our Dominican meal, Bible reading about the birth of Christ and our night to open presents as a family. Then a special breakfast and day at Grandma and Grandpa's house on Christmas with all the cousins.



Presents


We only buy 1 or 2 gifts for each (plus little stocking gifts) and we spend about an average of $10 each because at least 1/2 of the gifts we buy at garage sales for $1 or less. I buy stuff all year long and put in in a "big gift box" - so when Target clearances out their $1 and it is 75% off, I buy little lotions and lip glosses and pens etc for $.25 a piece and save them for their stockings. Then the kids write notes and fill each other's stockings with little toys and candy. Also, every time a child becomes a good reader, we give them their first real ESV Bible/Bible cover - so this year Jackie is getting that and Janae is getting an ESV Study Bible (Jackie has been so excited wondering when she will get her first Bible now that she can read) PS - I have found a lot of Bible covers at Ross lately for $10 or less. The more we have scaled back on presents, the more excited and appreciative they seem. The neat part is they actually remember and treasure what they got last year. Some other FREE gift ideas that my kids LOVE/or would love and your kids might like too are . . . . . . . . getting their first library card (once they are responsible enough), taking a free cooking class at Shar's http://www.sharskitchen.com/ with me, and certificates for me to paint their toe nails. What about a certificate to join Daddy at work one day? - my kids would love this if he had a job that allowed it. Some material and a certificate to go to Grandma's house and learn to sew or make a scrap book - you know a big project that you usually can't do on a normal basis. A fabulous idea I saw on a blog was to give an apron and a recipe notebook with clear sleeves in it to your daughters. Then add a few simple recipes that you will let them try and leave room to add more. Gosh - Jordan also loves to cook and takes pride in his cooking, so I know he would love it too - maybe with a home depot apron or a chef's hat. I love all of these ideas because they build memories through quality time and are virtually free :).


Oh and if you think 1 or 2 gifts is not enough, think of the gifts they get from Grandparents, Aunts/Uncles, Great Grandparents etc - I mean really, even that can get to be too much and the focus becomes all about the gifts, which is a shame. Another thing we stopped doing was putting the gifts under the tree in advance. It consumed my kids' thoughts when they were seeing them sitting there day after day. Instead, shop with the kids for angel tree, or put together a gift box of holiday goodies for some missionaries and have the kids help, or make some shoe boxes of goodies, socks, toiletries for some homeless people and pass them out - most seem to love coffee - how easy is that to either bring a thermos of coffee and some styrofoam cups and pass out or stop at a gas station and buy a couple of coffee's. These are the kinds of memories we want our children to have about Christmas - to serve others as we seek to be like Christ and honor him - for Christ did not come to be served, but to serve and give his life as a ransom for many.



Please share your favorite Christmas ideas!

2 comments:

Krista said...

Thanks, Joy, for taking the time to write out all these wonderful ideas! I am going to tuck many of them away for when our kids are a little older. . . I love the Bible when they learn to read and gift certificates for fun activities!And, wow, I soooo agree about only getting 1 or 2 presents. I think they get overwhelmed with any more than that. Plus, you're right, they get so much from extended family.

I'm glad you are enjoying the wrapped book tradition! Very fun! One thing we've been enjoying this year (and it takes no extra effort!) is choosing 1 Christmas card/picture from the mail & praying for that family. The boys have enjoyed doing that & it is cool for them to have a visual of who we are praying for. I think I may take the pictures after Christmas and put them into a photo album to use for prayer time!

Amy said...

You, my friend, are an amazing blogger! It is always a blessing to stop by and read. Thank you!!! I'm totally not keeping up with my blog, but I hope to catch up sometime. Thank you, again! -Amy