Thursday, April 9, 2009

Encouraging thankful hearts


Oh man, we have had some issues the last few days with grumbling and complaining. So last night amongst other things, Javier reminded and discussed 1 Thes. 5:16-18 with the kids "Be joyful always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus" .

Our fairly new rule is that rooms need to be clean, beds made and kids dressed and ready before anyone gets breakfast. Well this morning there was grumbling about making beds. I reminded them of what we just discussed last night and that the true test is if we can be joyful doing things we don't like. I left to change yet another terrible diaper and collect my first few of 20 stool samples that I have to collect on the boys over the next week. There it was - my own sin of grumbling in my heart about doing this all over again for the 3rd time. Then God's word convicted me so I decided to make a lesson of it. I started cheering, "WOOOHOOOO! Wooohooo! Thank you God!" The kids all came running and asked, "What? What?" I said, "Even I need to be thankful scooping poop because praise God that we have insurance and medical care to get these boys well. If I can rejoice in scooping poop, you guys can rejoice in making beds!" The kids were looking at me strangely, unsure if they should laugh or run and saying, "Mom is crazy, she has gone mad." Maybe true, but the whole attitude (mine included) in our home changed.

2 comments:

Andrea Hill said...

You tell em Joy, be joyful and thankful in scooping poop. Good example of teaching and no actually you have not going crazy. It is a true blessing to have medical insurance.

rachel said...

what a great lesson! you're a great mama!