Monday, December 8, 2008

We loved her a bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck


Grandmother with Jacklyn

Grandmother with Julia


Granmother with Joanna

My Grandmother passed away this afternoon. We have so many sweet memories with her and my Grandad. She was famous for her pies and jams. We especially loved everything they made out of their boysenberry patch and garden. She always told us that she loved us a bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck. As a child I can remember making art and stringing them across her family room to sell them to her and my grandad for a penny a piece. Maybe that is where my love for drawing was sparked. I also remember her spanking me :) - she made us mind and she was always willing to play a game of cards with me.

As adults, we usually stayed at her cozy house. Javier and I would stay up late chatting with her watching sports while Grandad snoozed on and off and then watching channels like MSNBC and discussing world events. We also had several good talks about the gospel on those late nights. She could always stay up later than us. She loved to hold and rock our babies, but sadly I don't think she ever clearly saw Joanna's face because she became increasingly blind. She always asked me about the kids and she always wanted to make sure the girls' hair was long and Jordan's was kept short. We loved her so.

11 comments:

Matt and Lindsey said...

She sounds like a very sweet woman from what I read on yours and Jeanette's blogs! I love her "bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck"! You'll have to keep that going with your kiddos! I'm so sorry you weren't able to be there for her last days. We'll be praying for your family.

ellerbee eight said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother. I recently had to miss the funeral of a dear cousin who I was very close to because of multiple reasons - mostly kid related, and I know I just hated to miss it. We will be praying for you. Kudos to you for keeping up with your blog. You've got to be exhausted! Thanks for updating!

Rebecca said...

So very sorry to hear about the loss of your grandmother. What a special time and a special woman.

Krista said...

Joy, I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandmother's death. She sounds like a sweet and loving woman. I also love her "bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck." That is really special. She clearly loved her children, grandchildren and great grandchildren very much. We will be praying for comfort for you entire family.

jeanette said...

I love how I ended my post with her "bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck" and you started yours with that.

I said it to Andrew tonight and he just looked at me funny. :)

Mona said...

I am sorry for your loss. Keep her stories alive for your children. We still talk about our grandparents and it brings back such fond memories.

Amber said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Sounds like you will always have some great memories.

Crystal said...

I am soory for your loss. We will keep you in our prayers. Love ya!

Chris said...

Joy , I am sorry to hear that your grandmother passed away.
She sounds like a wonderful woman.

rachel said...

grandmothers are such a blessing! i am sure you will treasure your memories of her always!

Jenni said...

So sorry about your grandma! She sounded wonderful- you'll always treasure those pictures of her with your kids!