Thursday, December 4, 2008

Day 1 - Our first meeting

We had a great breakfast at our hotel and headed off for our Ethiopian Air flight to Addis Ababa. Janae and I found empty rows in the back which was great for rest and keeping my feet up (too bad I couldn't sleep much - too excited).

We literally put our luggage in our guest house, changed shirts, washed hands and ran off to Toukoul orphanage to meet our children with the other family we were traveling with. Our first meeting was only about 20 minutes and then they whisked them off to eat. We returned after a good lunch and nap (which you can see in the second set of pictures - they are in green). Can you believe the change physically from then until now especially in my little Jeremiah (Abush)? I know he looked scary and funny looking and he was completely unresponsive - but it didn't matter - God had placed that love in my heart for both of them long before I ever set eyes on them or held them.
As soon as we turned down this alley, I recognized the famous blue doors of Toukoul Orphanage
That is my funny face trying not to break down in tears and scare him
All of the next pictures of the boys in green are from later that afternoon. We saw gains with both of them in the afternoon. It helped to spend a couple of hours with them that time so they could warm up to us.
Josiah can walk! His first steps with us :)
His first smile for us
Smiles for Daddy
Javi and his boys

9 comments:

Amber said...

Wow, I can't believe you were able to post. I hope oyu are getting some sleep.

My whole family has been praying for you guys. So much on your plate with the boys being sick, jetlag, pregnant, lack of sleep. Wow! You are superwomen!
We continue to pray that your boys will not have long effects from any illness or malnutrition.

By the way, you look great!I looked like I was going to explode when I was pregant and you are so darn cute!

Crystal said...

I am so happy for you!! Isn't it nice to be home with your kids!! Final!!Congrats, your boys look great!

Chris said...

You guys look so HAPPY .:)
Thanks for posting Joy.
Hope that you are feeling better .

Unknown said...

I love your "trying not to cry" face! Too cute! What a difference from the first set of pics to the second. The boys seemed to warm up quickly. I hope they are starting to feel better and the medications are kicking in. How's their sleeping going? Are you guys getting back on Arizona time? How are Jackie and Joanna doing with everything? Thanks for posting. You're in our prayers!

Matt and Lindsey said...

I can't believe how much better their rashes/pox look in just over a week. That's amazing! Continuing to pray for their health, your whole family's health, adjustments to AZ time, and attachment/bonding.

Erica said...

They are just beautiful Joy. Praying all of their skin stuff and sickness is cleared soon. Praying you get some rest!!!

Kristy -Mom To 9 Blessings said...

It's so good to hear that you are home with your precious blessings. I can only imagine how exhausted you must be so thanks so much for taking the time to post and for sharing your family with us! Posting is almost a favorite past time with me these days! :-)
Blessings to you!
Love,
Kristy

rachel said...

firstly, joy, you look SO GOOD! wow. just stunning!

secondly, thank you for sharing your first meeting with your boys with us. so heart-warming! it's amazing you took the time to share this with us with all you have on your plate right now!

blessings,
rachel

Andrea Hill said...

The pics look great. Everyone looks so happy. Even the boys after they just met with you guys.