Monday, May 4, 2009

Memorial Box Monday - Grandparents leave a legacy

A good man leaves an inheritance to his children's children, but the sinner's wealth is laid up for the righteous. Proverbs 13:22


Grandchildren are the crown of the aged, and the glory of children is their fathers. Proverbs 17:6

We have been filling our memorial box with great things the Lord has done or provided. Since the last thing I shared was on a "light note", this time I wanted to share something a little more serious.


We decided to put in a plastic waffle. Why you ask? Because that is the special breakfast my kids have gotten almost every Saturday morning for the last 9 years when they spend the night at my parents' house. Since Janae was weaned at 1 year old, my parents have taken our kids on Friday nights so that we could clean an office and have a date night. One by one, they keep adding each of our children to the tradition.

On top of that, in 10 years, we have never paid a babysitter because they have almost always been willing and able to watch our kids. They have always heeded our desires of how we want to raise them. Also, my mom is a retired Kindergarten teacher so she is always teaching them, reading with them, doing crafts with them and even taking them to plays and museums. My dad's special thing to do with them is take them on walks to see all of the animals in their neighborhood. Their house is so fun with a basement, spa, orchard, huge playground that my dad built for them and we can't forget the snacks and ice cream Grandma's house has that mommy never buys them.

They set an example for our children to follow Christ and serve others and they work on their manners. Lately, since the boys have come here, my mom has come over about once a week to help me take care of kids so I can run errands, clean, do laundry or whatever needs to be done. She has also taken my ironing pile home to iron for me the last several months.

So here is the answer to "How do you do it?!" to those of you who have a false idea that I am superwoman. No, God has provided great grandparents that are selfless and have laid down their lives countless times to love on our kids and to support our marriage and family. So we praise the Lord, along with my kids, for the "inheritance" or legacy my parents are leaving their grandkids. My parents truly see their grandchildren as their crown like Proverbs says. We are not "lucky" - no - make no mistake about it - this is a gift from the Lord. Thanks mom and dad!

8 comments:

Andrea Hill said...

How heartfelt and sweet stories. Especially the last paragraph. Your parents look really nice. And yes they sure have left a legacy for your family.

Unknown said...

I love your mom and dad! I'm so thankful for them, too. They were instrumental in my journey to salvation and always such an example. What a treasure of memories your kids are making with them.

rachel said...

wow, what an amazing gift. you are not "lucky", you are RICHLY BLESSED!!!!

Krista said...

What a beautiful tribute to your sweet parents. They certainly cherish their children and grandchildren! Although I don't know your parents very well, I will never forget their generosity in helping stock my 1st grade classroom with games and decor and also your dad's help with the baseball bats for Chase's bedroom. What a dear family!

Andrea said...

Beautiful.
I popped over from Rachel's blog.
You family is gorgeous. That JOANNA looks like an angel.
We are homeschoolers also.
AND we have a big ole' family, too.
Nice to meet you.

Andrea

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful tribute to your special parents. I know how much they love you and your family and I'm sure they were touched by your special message.

Aunt Carol

Mona said...

Families are wonderful. My nieces and nephews have wonderful memories of visiting my parents and I can't wait for my little girl to start creating memories for herself. I am so happy your children have such incredible grandparents - they look so sweet.

Melissa said...

Hi Joy, I was so honored that you take the time to read my blog (mowryfamily.blogspot.com)being as busy as you are. I always check yours to see how you deal with having the number of kids you have, since we'll have five soon, and perhaps more. We are going to start homeschooling after we move, so I'm encouraged that you are able to do so given how young some of your kids are. I loved this post about your parents. What a tremendous blessing. Thanks for visiting my blog. Take care.