Thursday, May 29, 2008

Healthy, cancer fighting, yummy snacks




Notice Julia and Jackie forming the balls so nicely while a little thief in the background is taking them out and eating them. Now look in the picture below. Do you see how they got smart and moved the container out of her reach? If you look closely you can see that Jo Jo's mouth is full :).

Are you looking for some fun things to do with your kids this summer? How about teaching them how to cook a yummy snack? Every couple of weeks we make a batch of "Peanut Butter Balls". We got the recipe from the Mouro family (link on the right) and we just toss things in and add new things. The kids can make the whole thing. You don't really need to measure - just toss stuff in, form balls and put in the refrigerator. These are usually the only kind of cookies we have at our house and the whole family loves them. I have listed the ingredients below.

*Peanut butter
*honey
*oats
*raisins
*dry milk
*bran
*ground flax seed

We buy the bran and flax seed in bulk at the health food store and then we fill a coffee grinder with flax seed and grind it and toss it in. You can grind all kinds of things and toss them in. Now I go heavy on the oats, bran and flax seed, but at first you might want to start with small amounts until your little tummies get used to it. I have to confess that I even eat one or two for breakfast when I am on the run. My sister and friends make these too and they vary it with different dried fruit or m & ms and sunflower seeds. Sometimes we put wheaties in them - just toss in whatever you have or try grinding some new grains and toss them in. You can't go wrong!

3 comments:

Kim said...

my kids adore peanut butter playdough!! you can make it and let thim play with it, we stick it on apples as well. yum

Andrea said...

What a yummy snack. I'll have to try that. I noticed little J. right away before you even mentioned it. She is something.

Krista said...

Alright, Joy! We're going to give your peanut butter cookies a go! I'm so excited to try them. I mean really. . . can you go wrong with anything that is peanut butter, honey & oatmeal?! Yum! Thank you for sharing a healthy treat!