Saturday, January 12, 2008

12 years and 5 kids later


On Dec. 30, Javier and I celebrated 12 years of marriage. We were talking how we could have never made it this far without Christ. It is only by God's grace and allowing God's word to be the final authority of our marriage, that we have made it this long. Believe me, not too many people thought it would last. I was 19 and he was 20. I was still going to college and he worked 2 jobs. Our backgrounds, both culturally and financially, were completely different, but the Lord knit our hearts together. We have the same convictions and ideals of how we want to raise our family and serve the Lord.
We went out to Outback Steakhouse with a gift card from my parents, while they watched our kids - it is our anniversary tradition :). He knows just how to embarass me. He is always telling the waiter or watress that it is our first date, then I always try to explain while I am red in the face. Javier said, "By far we have more fun now". That made me smile, because 12 years and 5 kids later, that is the way it should be.

9 comments:

dkt said...

Congratulations!! God is so good!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. You guys are a precious couple glorying God TOGETHER in your amazing walk. Can't hardly wait to get to know you more. Andrea H.

Anonymous said...

Congratulation !!
Your husband would have fun with mine:) They are a lot alike .
Glad you had a good anniversary dinner. I am still waiting for mine .
Chris

Kim said...

congrats!!! my husband does that too, and it does embarass me.
well good for you guys and what a way to bring in the new year.
Love Kim

Erica said...

Congratulations you two!!! Thank you for your sweet comments on our blog. How exciting to be adopting two boys!! Praying things go smoothly.

BUILDING WITH 6 said...

Hi Joy! That made me really laugh about Javi and his joking! How funny! Happy Anniversary! We're coming up on 10 years in Feb-WOW!!!
Hey, I put your blog link (as well as your sisters) on my blog. I hope it's ok, but I read them both all the time. Love Kami Crisanti

Unknown said...

Nice to meet you and congratulations for such a beautiful family. It is so good to feel that way after being to many years wit that person We have been together for 20 years (15 marriage & 5 dating) and we love and care for eachother the same way. God luck on your adoption process and keep in touch.

Michael and Michelle said...

I just came across your blog. My husband and I are also adoption from Ethiopia. We are using All God's Children International. Who are you using?
You have a very cute family!!
Nice to "meet" you.
Michelle

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! 12 years and 5 children later, God has definitely blessed you! You and Javier have a beautiful family so far. Here's to hoping and praying soon we will see a picture of your newest additions!! God bless, Christine