Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Geography and homeschooling

We had 2 funny geography lessons this week - one from our 5 yr old and one from our 3 yr old.

Jordan was studying and locating the eastern United states. He came to Pennsylvania and Julia (5) immediately said, "I know! That must be where we get all of our pencils from!" No - she was not joking. I think homonyms really confuse her- or maybe we should call it creative thinking :)(see the post about hymns)

Then Jacklyn (3) saw me making a coffee drink and she said, "Yuck, I don't like coffee!" I jokingly said, "Daddy and I both like coffee so where did you come from?" She said, "I came from the same place you did - RUSSIA!" I said, "what???" She said, "Russia - let me show you on the map." She ran over to our kitchen table where we have a large map displayed on it under a clear table cloth. She pointed right to Russia. I was so surprised that she knew where it was, but the kids constantly sit around the table at meal times and school time and locate different countries and quiz each other about the different countries all on their own. I still am confused why she thinks we came from Russia though!??

2 comments:

Chris said...

This is too funny . You didn't tell me that you were coming from Russia:) And she is so adorable.

jeanette said...

russia? Even I didn't know you were from Russia -should we ask mom and dad if there's something we don't know?