Thursday, August 9, 2007

Rocky start

I have been following the progress of the first 4 families in Zambia. It has been a drama almost every day. The bottom line is that adoption is rare and not an easy road in Zambia, which is different from what we thought when we signed up. Also, there are many orphans but few that have any paperwork allowing them to be adopted. 3 of the 4 families are coming home without having adopted a child. It is very sad and we are waiting for communication from our agency. Our agency has also announced that they need to raise the fees, which is a bummer, but probably necessary to get the children's paperwork in order. Basically, we have paid all of our government fees here in the US and are just waiting for clearance from them. We are going to wait and pray and not send any more $ to our agency until we figure out if we will continue with them. Some people are hopefully getting their $ back and changing countries/agencies. That is an option for us, but we are not going to be quick to "jump off this boat". We grieve with these first families and pray that the one remaining couple, who has an adorable little baby boy they are hoping to adopt, will indeed be able to complete their adoption and bring him home. Please pray for us, as this is sad news, but we walk by faith and not by sight. Lord give us wisdom and direction.

3 comments:

keelstar said...

Hi Joy! I have been following your blog ever since Jeanette shared it with me! I am so sad for all of the families that are coming home empty-handed from Zambia after such a long, emotional journey. I was following the family who was trying to adopt little Grace and I was heartbroken to read their story. I hope and pray that God will lead you in the right direction. If your heart is truly in Africa and Zambia ends up not being an option, I know lots of families adopting through Ethiopia and I know of some awesome agencies too! I know that God will lead you in the path that you should go! Cannot wait to see where He takes you on your adoption journey! Each journey is so unique and almost never what we expect, I know ours wasn't what we thought, but in the end, we know that it is what God ordained! Blessings, Keely

Anonymous said...

Hi!

Thanks for your recent encouragement on my blog! I pray the Lord will give you direction and wisdom through this. Remember--this is Africa, nothing is ever as easy as it can be made out to be. That is one lesson we learned again and again. It is often the case with Africa that they try to portray what will get the American's attention and approval--not what they can actually accomplish given the poverty and corruption. That said, try not to be discouraged though--God is still in control of poor corrupt nations and their leaders. And he also cares for orphans. It is just a reminder to be flexible and remember "this is Africa"

Praying for you!

--Dianna Tuininga

Anonymous said...

Hello to a "mom with a pretty full quiver." I too have been watching with batted breathe as these first families were in Zambia and soon to be home. I have been sick the last few days, for these families, and for the children. I don't know what God is saying because I felt certain we would soon be sending Faithful our money. I will be interested to hear what they have to say to families like you and at the next teleconference. God's blessings- I am united in prayer with your fam and others at this most challenging time.

KA Humph